Boerewors with Vegetable Relish
- 2 onions – peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 red capsicum - diced
- 1 yellow capsicum - diced
- 4 tomatoes – roughly chopped
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 3 Tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 carrot – grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 portion Boerewors Sausage (Leckies Butchery)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Flat leaf parsley (Janefield Hydroponics)
- In a medium sized saucepan on a medium – low heat, cook the onions, salt and garlic in the coconut oil until translucent. Add in the curry powder and turmeric and cook until fragrant.
- Add in the capsicum, tomato, and carrot and cook out for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, chilli flakes, rice malt syrup and cider vinegar and cook out for a further 10 minutes on low, stirring frequently.
- Once thickened slightly, turn off the heat.
- Taste and season.
- Allow to cool and store in a jar in the fridge.
- To cook the Boerewors sausage, pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan on a med-high heat and place the sausage in one coiled piece. Cook until well browned. Flip, and cook the other side until well browned.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with the vegetable relish and sprinkle with chopped flat leaf parsley.