Roast Garlic and Cannellini Dip with Thyme Pumpernickel
- 1 tin cannellini beans
- 1 bulb garlic with stalk (Te Mahanga Orchard)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 loaf pumpernickel (Beanos Bakery)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Stem of fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- drizzle olive oil
- Cut the green top off the garlic and set aside. Wrap the garlic in tinfoil and roast in a 200 degree celsius oven for 40 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the skin and place in a food processor and blend with the drained cannellini beans, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Taste and season. Pour into serving bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil in a small fry pan to a medium/high heat.
- Finely slice the garlic shoot and fry in hot the oil for approx. 3 minutes or until starting to go golden. Remove immediately and set aside.
- Cut the pumpernickel into approx. 1cm slices and place on an oven tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and some of the fresh thyme leaves and toast in an oven until toasted but not browning.
- Place the garlic shoots on top of the dip, along with the paprika and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve alongside the toasted pumpernickel.